Thursday, March 28, 2019

Primitive Reflexes and Further Decline, But Still Connecting

It seems to be happening so fast! It's been a difficult few weeks, as I observe further decline in Jim's ability to function. Today I updated the specifics of these changes on the second page of my blog, which can be found here.

Primitive reflexes are seen in infants. Sucking reflex and startle reflex are two such examples. Developmentally, these reflexes disappear at the baby grows. In my quest to understand the changes that I've seen in Jim, I've discovered that these primitive reflexes can reappear in late stage dementia. Over the last few weeks, I've observed both of these reflexes with increasing frequency.

At meal time especially I see the sucking reflex. Anything that he can bring to his mouth seems to elicit this response. When I approach him with a spoonful of food, he often will purse his lips, trying to suck on the food that is on the spoon. He  often reaches for utensils, napkin, placement, clothing protector, seemingly anything but food, and will exhibit this reflex. It has resulted in some challenges to help him actually ingest food. His weight is stable, and he drinks plenty of fluids (via straw), so no worries at this point about adequate intake.

Yesterday there was a close call at bingo. As I've mentioned before, Jim is a passive participant at structured activities. He seems to enjoy being present, but is not able to actually participate. Yesterday he picked up a bingo chip, brought it up to his mouth, made a sucking noise and it went into his mouth! I was able to safely extricate the chip without much difficulty, but it was alarming to me. If he had actually tried to swallow it he would have choked for sure.

I've notified the appropriate staff, including therapists, about my concerns. Putting into place the appropriate safeguards within a very busy memory care unit will be challenging for sure.

Jim startles very easily. In spite of my soft voice and slow movements, the slightest unexpected movement or sound causes him to be startled. His body jerks back, his arms go up and there is an involuntary movement in his legs. I'm doing my best to keep things even keeled for him, but sometimes it seems unavoidable.

I've read that as the dementia progresses there is a loss of peripheral vision and eventually a loss of distance vision beyond a couple of feet. Jim seems to have lost the peripheral vision. Not sure about the distance. But I'm grateful for my own awareness so that I can adjust what I do in supporting him with this change in vision.

Physical therapy continues, but I have to say it seems pretty discouraging. I'm not seeing improvement as I had hoped. If anything, he seems more unsteady when standing.

Awareness of his surroundings seems to be diminishing further. It's harder to break through and find him. The vacant look is increasingly present. But he's still in there, and I can still find him.

Yesterday we were sitting in his room, he in his wheelchair and me on his bed. On a whim, I lifted one of my legs and rested it on both of his legs. He immediately started rubbing and massaging my leg! Wow! It was an incredible way to connect with him. I took my shoe off and he started massaging my foot! An amazing physical and emotional connection that made us both very happy.

Years ago we used to give each other back and leg massages, especially following a difficult hike or bike ride. Somehow his brain was able to fire on all of its cylinders at that moment yesterday  and create an experience for us that I will never forget.

Still able to connect, to find him.

Thanks for stopping by. I so appreciate the support of all my kind readers.






18 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you. I have been reading your blog for a very long time and have not commented. But I want you to know that after following your blog and witnessing the decline in your Husband's health, I think you are very brave and strong - and a wonderful wife. My Mother has dementia and it is extremely difficult on our entire family. We love her so much and feel at such a loss - she diminishes a little more everyday. Praying for you and just wanted you to know you aren't alone --Mary Ellen

Carole said...

Mary Ellen, I’m so sorry to hear about your mother. It’s such a dreadful disease, and each journey with dementia is so different. Thanks for your kind words. It does help me tremendously to know that I’m not alone. Sending warm thoughts to you and your family. Thanks for stopping by.

Jabberwalky08 said...

Oh, Carole - thanks again for this helpful, detailed post. You make incredibly helpful suggestons about ways to connect with a spouse at various stages of this process. Most of us have not been in this role before, and are making it up as we go along - hearing how you've handled it is a great gift to us.

DJan said...

I feel as if I know you and Jim through your detailed posts. I am so sorry that his disease is progressing so quickly. I am also so glad that he is in a place where he is well taken care of. And then he has you, trying so hard to find him in there somewhere. It breaks my heart.

Carole said...

Jabberwalky, I surprise myself sometimes and am grateful when intuition kicks in and actually works! It's still scary and sometimes does not seem real when I observe these changes, the decline. I'm pretty good at avoiding denial, but still, as caregivers we sometimes just shake our head and ask how can this be.

My posts aren't as frequent as they used to be; I seemed to be moved to write when there is a significant change. Writing about it helps me to process it. And the thought that it may help others on this journey is nothing short of a blessing.

Carole said...

DJan, as you might guess I wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to blogging. It's a tremendous help to me, to write about what is happening. The support from my lovely readers, such as you, touches me in a way that gives me strength.

Yesterday in PT they tried to get him to walk (one person on either side and a gait belt). It just broke my heart to see him desperately trying to get his legs to move. You could see his legs shaking as he attempted with all his might to take a few steps. The connection between his brain and his legs was just not working right yesterday. Will today be better? The course is so variable, with ups and downs and an overall trajectory of down. Just have to hang in there and love him.

Arkansas Patti said...

My heart hurts for you both though mostly for you as hopefully, Jim is not as aware of his losses. The loss of his peripheral vision would explain his startle reflex. Things no longer ease into view but are just suddenly there. The bingo chip was indeed frightening.
The foot rub had to have been wonderful for you both. What an amazing connection. I am always impressed how you and he keep finding ways to connect.
Sending prayers and hugs.

Carole said...

Thanks for the prayers and hugs Patti. It is consoling to believe that Jim is not aware of his losses. I remember very early in this journey when I would carefully talk to him about changes I was seeing. He was always in disbelief, just couldn't imagine why I had those perceptions. The unawareness is a blessing.

I'm learning more about end stage care, and what to expect. I will be on super high alert for any signs at all of pain or discomfort. That would be something that I could not bear to watch. Hospice care is available when it becomes necessary. So grateful for that option.

Carol Westover said...

I'm not sure if this will post or not. So pleased to see your message in my inbox. I had been thinking of you lately and wondered how things were going for you. I wasn't aware of the reflex symptoms in dementia. Very interesting. So thankful you were right there to catch Jim trying to eat the bingo chip. Not good... his actions do mirror those of a toddler who's just learning to investigate things in their surroundings. I so appreciate your passing all of this information along. I'm sure it will be very helpful to many of your readers. Blessings to you and Jim. Hang in there!

Carole said...

Carol, good to hear from you. I've learned a lot myself as Jim passes through the different stages of dementia. So glad to pass this along to others, hoping it may help someone else who is traveling down this road. Thanks for your kind words.

Friko said...

It is a long and stoney road, this decline deeper and deeper into dementia. I am much in awe of your ability to cope and give your husband the best possible care and attention. There is only one outcome, we all know that, but it is possible to call on love and humanity to lighten the burden, as your episode of leg and foot massage shows so clearly.

Carole said...

Friko, you know this journey only too well. I look back at some of my posts from 2 years ago, when he was still at home. It amazes me that I survived that level of stress. But here we are, 2 years later and it seems I have traded my stress for deep sorrow. I hold on to the fact that he still is able to let me know that he recognizes me and loves me. When that is gone, I fear my heart will break. But I can't get too far ahead of myself. And I imagine that at that point my focus will be on soothing, psychological connection from me to him.

Joared said...

Glad you were present for the bingo chip incident and hope staff there having been made aware of the issue will carefully monitor to prevent any problems. The developmental stages reversal does give some understanding of what to pay attention to but also how best to connect with senses. Your sharing here is so informative. Trust you’re continuing to care for yourself.

Carole said...

Joared, the occupational therapist gave his some "chewelry". It's an indestructible object on a cord. He can wear it around his neck. Yesterday was the first day. When I put the chewlery around his neck, he explored it with his hand, and then right in his mouth! So something safe that will help to meet his needs at this point in time. So far, no issues with swallowing, but I know that it is only a matter of time.

I continue to see a counselor once a week to help me with the grief I am experiencing. She is amazing and has been a tremendous support to me. I also have connected closely with other family members from the memory care unit.

troutbirder said...

Oh my.... ray

Carole said...

Ray, I think of you, knowing that you are walking this difficult journey with your wife Barb. You are a strong advocate for her. Be sure to take care of yourself, too.

Beyonce Velez said...

Thanks to Dr. James for his help in shrinking off my long term uterine fibroid. I had pelvic pain, heavy menses and swelling. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with fibroid and advised to go for surgery. I was scared and I went online for more info and remedy about fibroid. Luckily, I found Dr. James natural medication for fibroid. I reached out to him, and he prepared me with his herbal medicine for  fibroid shrinking, and i used the medicine as he prescribed for me and my fibroid disappeared totally and is now a year plus since I got cured.his herbal medicine is easy to drink with no side effects.If you know anyone suffering from these diseases or having any health challenges should contact Dr. JAMES for natural treatments. His herbal mix medicine is easy to drink with no side effects. Dr.James has cure for diseases like  Pcos,Plantar-warts,Ovarian cyst, Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease ,Celiac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration, Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis,Lupus,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis, Hypertension,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer, Breast Cancer, Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV/AIDS, Herpes Virus,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory, Diabetes,Fibroid. Contact this Great man on his email and get a permanent cure of your diseases. Dr James  Email  Address     [greatcureman@gmail.com

Kylan Gentry said...

Hello everyone on here, I want to share with you all a great testimony on how I was cured by Dr Jekawo, who cured so many diseases.
I was suffering from herpes and diabetes also my little sister was a victim of blood cancer too but with the help of Dr Jekawo we are all fine, well with his natural remedies that he prepare then send to us through dhl courier he then instruct us on how to drink the herbal medicines which we did and today we are completely well, we have being living free for 2 years now and it's seems like a God sent when I met him online by a lady giving testimony online like I'm doing right now.also I have introduce Dr Jekawo to several colleagues from works suffering from different kind of diseases and Dr Jekawo has healed all of them with his herbal knowledge. he's a great man with ancestral power to cure people with herpes,cancer,diabetes,hepatitis,hpv,lupus,als,hiv/aids, also spiritual consultation he's available for that as well.
I email him on: drjekawo@gmail.com because that's the only source to get to him as he lives far from the United state,I told him that I will be giving testimony on his behalf because he's a good man with a Godly heart.