Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Progression to Fisher's Clinical Stage 7D

Profound, overwhelming sadness. That pretty much sums up how I'm feeling these days. My head still spins when I think of how fast everything seems to be progressing.

I have updated the Progression of Dementia page, which you can read here.

Jim's increased somnolence has resulted in less food/beverage intake. He has lost 7 pounds in the last month. A while back, his diet was changed to include more finger food, as he was no longer able to use utensils for eating. For example, if spaghetti and meatballs was on the menu, Jim might get a burger on a bun or some other type of food that he could hold in his hand and feed himself.

At this point, he is no longer capable of managing the finger foods either; he must be fed all of his meals. I've requested the return of the regular menu items, hoping they will be higher calorie and more palatable. We'll see if that helps prevent some of the weight loss. If not, the dietician is suggesting a high calorie shake midday. Would he even be able to wake up for that?

He continues to sleep most of the time, day and night. Staff get him up for meals; sometimes he is just too sleepy to eat, literally falling asleep at the table.

Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed that Jim's respirations are quite irregular. While sleeping, he has pauses in his breathing for 20 - 30 seconds, followed by several rapid and deep breaths. The doctor confirmed that Jim is experiencing what is called Cheyne-Stokes respirations, resulting from damage to his brain stem from his dementia. This is not a good sign, and confirms that Jim is closer to the end of his life.

He is starting to lose the ability to hold himself upright when sitting in his wheelchair. PT has provided a bolster/support for his lateral lean to the right.

Last week was particularly rough. Intellectually I understand exactly what is happening. But emotionally it's very difficult. A good friend of mine gently suggested that it might be time to make final arrangements. I knew she was right, but it was so hard to make that phone call. My brother accompanied me to the funeral home; he has been a tremendous support to me. Having him there to discuss options and plans made it so much easier. So it's done. Arrangements have been made.

I'm spending quite a bit of time with Jim these days. It's comforting for me to be there with him. Of course most of the time I'm watching him sleep. But when he opens his eyes ever so briefly for a few seconds, I'm so happy that we are there together. I take my iPad with me along with the math puzzles that I love to do (KenKen). And at the good suggestion of Dr. M., I've incorporated one or two outdoor walks while I am there.

When I go to bed at night, my phone is on the nightstand. I'm dreading the call. But it will come, of course. And when it does, I'll know that even though his physical body will be gone, his spirit will live on. He will always be a part of me.

I had a dream the other night that seemed so real! Jim sat up in bed, looked at me and said "Oh, don't worry, I'm OK. I'm right back to normal." And in my dream I believed it to be true.

I'll know the end is near when he stops eating and drinking. The other possibility is that the Cheyne-Stokes breathing pauses have the potential to result in an abnormal heart rhythm that could end his life. I just know that I want him to be peaceful and comfortable as the time nears.

I have amazing support in my life. Dr. M. is my safe harbor where I can process all that I'm going through. I can't imagine not having her by my side on this journey. Family and friends have all stepped up to be there for me, supporting and encouraging, saying just the right thing. And I'm ever so grateful to my friend jabberwalky, who over the miles has been an amazing friend and support to me.

And of course to all of you dear readers, who have been, and still are, on this journey with me. Your encouragement and kindness means the world to me.



35 comments:

dkzody said...

For some reason, I lost track of your posts. I knew I was not seeing anything from you and thought perhaps you had quit posting, knowing how difficult these final days of dementia would be. It was good to see your blog name pop up again and to find you are still writing, but saddened to learn how far Jim has come in the progression of the disease. I know you are sad and burdened with the knowledge of what is coming.

Carole said...

dkzody- Thanks for stopping by. It is therapeutic for me to write. Something happens when I put words onto the page. It helps me to sort out the issues and process all of what is happening. I also think about those who are earlier in this journey. I remember desperately searching for other dementia blogs to better understand what was going on and what to expect.

So if I can be that person for someone else, it will be deeply gratifying for me.

Brenda said...

Prayers
Prayers

Carole said...

Thanks Brenda.

Anonymous said...

Carole,
I haven't commented in a while but follow your posts avidly and with deep compassion for what you are going through. You have done an outstanding job of moving through this extremely difficult journey with your beloved. I know you will be given all the grace and strength you need for the days ahead. And I believe you will find peace and comfort when Jim slips away. And yes, he will always be a part of you. I'm so glad you are getting good support from family and friends. Warmly, Becky

Anonymous said...

I am truly sadden to hear about the end of the long goodbye. I was in denial with my mom hoping she would rally and we would be the lucky ones to not need hospice. We all deal with it in different ways and I am happy that your brother is there to help you. Mom luckily had done a funeral plan so it was as easy as picking up a phone call though the hospice nurse greatly helped. My prayers and thoughts are will you and know that out here in the cold and quiet internet we stand with you. God Bless you and Jim - N

Carole said...

Becky - I am so grateful for this time with Jim. Still creating loving memories... I still feel his love, when he opens his eyes and connects/smiles at me. My understanding is that hearing is one of the senses that remains up until the end. I take e comfort in that, knowing that I can still whisper words of love to him.

Thanks for your comment and encouragement.

Carole said...

N - Thanks for your comment. The care home staff provide hospice care as well. I've been able to witness this transition, as they slip seamlessly into their hospice role. They are amazingly compassionate and supportive, with the goal of keeping the person comfortable as they transition out of this life.

"..out here in the cold and quiet internet we stand with you." Thank you for this reassuring message. I am truly blessed to have found this way of connecting with others and sharing our story. It has always been a catharsis for me. What I didn't expect was the outpouring of kindness from so many folks. Truly it has been a source of amazing support to me.

Cathy said...

Just sending a little (((hug)) to you....and Jim.

Jabberwalky08 said...

Steady on, as you walk this path with Jim. Sending warmth and peace.

DJan said...

I wish there was something I could say that would be comforting. But I cannot think of a thing. I'm just glad that you have allowed those of us who care about you both to be along with you on your journey. My heart goes out to you, Carole. Know that many of us who have never met you are happy to hear anything from you, just knowing you are hanging in there. Sending my love and prayers.

Tehachap said...

I knew in my heart that this time would come, but it has come far quicker than I would have imagined. I am so very grateful for you and your friendship. In the beginning, when I found your blog, I felt a kinship with you and Jim because you seemed to have the same close friendship/marriage that I have had with my husband. At the time, I suspected something was amiss with my own husband but wasn't sure. Now we are just waiting to learn exactly what we are dealing with. I feel like I've just stepped onto the road you've been traveling with Jim. May God bless and keep you and give you strength. I'll be praying for you and for a peaceful transition for Jim.

Mary said...

So heartbreaking....yet so much love between you two... love is a gift you’ve been give and have given. For that you are fortunate. Many don’t experience both at the same time or maybe never.
As weird as it sounds, I envy you...I was married 30 years before he passed, but did not have the closeness you and Jim have had...

Carole said...

Cathy - thanks for the hugs!

Carole said...

Jabberwalky- so appreciate your support through this journey.

DJan- It seems surreal sometimes . As I sit here watching him sleep, I know that I am not alone.

Tehachap - your hubby is fortunate to have you by his side. The journey is a hard one. Wishing you well as you learn more about what you’re facing, and encouraging you to continue to reach out for the support you need along the way.

Mary- I’ll always be grateful for the love we share. It’s a gift that will be with me forever.

Anonymous said...

Reading your updates and keeping you in our prayers - Readers in RI

jalna said...

So sorry about what you are going through. Thank you for always keeping us updated. Hugs to you and Jim.

Carole said...

Thanks Jalna. So grateful for all the kind support.

Carole said...

Readers in RI - so appreciate it. Thank you.

Arkansas Patti said...

My heart hurts for you and Jim. I can't imagine what you are going through but am so grateful that you have such a good support system to help you through this painful time. Thinking of you both and praying for you both.

Carole said...

Patti- I’ve been so heartened by the support from family and friends. I miss him already, but comforted that I’m not alone. Thanks for your kindness Patti.

troutbirder said...

Today was different. I buzzed in with Lily our GSD and saw Barb sitting alone in the kitchen area. She appeared to be sleeping. Lily nuzzled her mistress with no response. No response to my voice. I got some juice in a carton and with a straw. She sucked some in but couldn't figure out how to handle and eat a cookie. An so it went for the next two hours. I was given a note for a meeting in the administration building next Tuesday. Apparently they are ready to take the step to hospice. I always thought have dealt with my moms, my wife's dementia, my oldest son's bipolar and his brothers epilepsy I would always be ready for the bottom line. Not true. There's a theory and then the practice and practice always seems to blindside . I read your post twice about stage VII and then the links. It's is exactly what's happened to Barb the last week. Now I know better what to expect for that I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Ray

Carole said...

Ray - I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. You have had more than your share of heartache in your life, and now Barb has had another decline. You've been a good, strong advocate for her all along. Hang in there, and know that my thoughts are with you at this very difficult time in your life.

tahoegirl.blog said...

This must be so painful. I'm so glad you have the support you need. I hope it is a peaceful as possible and he is released from his body.

Carole said...

Tahoegirl - My consolation is that he looks so at peace. I, of course, am having a hard time with all of this. But Jim looks so peaceful, as he is laying there sleeping. The moments he opens his eye, I attempt to engage him, and sometimes we connect! So still making some sweet memories. But yes, this is a very difficult journey and I can't imagine going through it without my good support.

Friko said...

I am so very sorry. Things are moving very quickly and you can foresee the end. You won’t believe it when it happens, I didn’t, although the last four weeks were really a countdown to death in my case. Whatever happens, you are strong; sadness and heartache are allowed but do as you are doing, make whatever time is left count. You will have something to hold on to in the future.

Carole said...

Friko - Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I’m comforted by being with him, so that is where I am most of the day. The times he truly connects with me are so precious. Your words of wisdom are appreciated.

Kay said...

Oh Carole, I'm so very sorry. I can't find enough words to tell you all I am feeling for you. You and Jim share such a deep and beautiful love. I'm sending you a heart to heart hug from across the ocean.

Carole said...

Kay - I am so grateful to still be able to "find him". He's still in there, and for that I am so fortunate. The times when he opens his eyes and truly connects to me brings me much joy. Thanks for the heart to heart hug Kay.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Carole, I came over from Troutbirders blog. Thank you for sharing the most difficult times of your life. I am certain your blog will help many who suffer from dementia.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Carole - I too have come over from Troutbirder's blog. I took up blogging just before my mother became bedridden after various strokes - and though she was cognisant (I was lucky there) ... blogging and meeting others in this way has really opened my eyes to other aspects of increasing age. As you and Ray are showing through your posts. All the very best ... though it's good to know your brother and the staff are being towers of strength for you.

Like you ... but in a different way ... I love the extra support I got from the positive comments I'd get - now the blog continues on ... giving me an education as I post.

It's wonderful you can be with Jim as much as you are able ... and are able to take walks, while being with him at other times. With thoughts, and yes hugs from over the pond.

Carole said...

Hi Hillary from over the pond! Thanks for your comment. I will have to check out your blog. It's been an incredible experience to be able to write, have folks read, and then respond with such kindness and sensitivity. Such a blessing. Do take care.

Ien in the Kootenays said...

I came here from Troutbirder’s. Very touching. Been there, done it, the whole Till Death Do Us Part thing, 55 years of life. My husband slipped away Cheshire cat style, slowly over a number of years. When the end finally came it was liberation for both of us. Grief is the price we pay for love. Wishing you strength.

Carole said...

Len - I'm so sorry for what you have been through. It's such a difficult struggle for the person suffering from dementia and also the spouse. "Grief is the price we pay for love" - so true.

Kylan Gentry said...

Hello everyone on here, I want to share with you all a great testimony on how I was cured by Dr Jekawo, who cured so many diseases.
I was suffering from herpes and diabetes also my little sister was a victim of blood cancer too but with the help of Dr Jekawo we are all fine, well with his natural remedies that he prepare then send to us through dhl courier he then instruct us on how to drink the herbal medicines which we did and today we are completely well, we have being living free for 2 years now and it's seems like a God sent when I met him online by a lady giving testimony online like I'm doing right now.also I have introduce Dr Jekawo to several colleagues from works suffering from different kind of diseases and Dr Jekawo has healed all of them with his herbal knowledge. he's a great man with ancestral power to cure people with herpes,cancer,diabetes,hepatitis,hpv,lupus,als,hiv/aids, also spiritual consultation he's available for that as well.
I email him on: drjekawo@gmail.com because that's the only source to get to him as he lives far from the United state,I told him that I will be giving testimony on his behalf because he's a good man with a Godly heart.